Within our factories and in areas under our control there is a continuous effort to maximize production while minimizing the consumption of natural resources and reducing waste and emissions. We have developed a series of environmental performance indicators (EPIs) in 1997 to monitor our efforts for the sustainable use of natural resources in manufacturing. All processes follow the Nestlé Environmental Management System, and our business practices comply with government policies, environmental laws and regulation.
Some of our key initiatives to ensure sustainable, environmentally friendly operations are -
- Continuous upgrading of energy and water management practices
- Reduced water usage in manufacturing
- Ensuring the absence of pollutants by focusing on zero waste discharge
- Treating and recycling waste water within the factory
- Using treated waste water to develop a ‘green’ environment within our factories
As production volume has been increasing, there has been significant reduction in usage of energy and water, along with reduction in emission of greenhouse gases per tonne of production. From 1999 to 2014, some of our achievements in this regard are as follows: