Research and Development
Research & Development
Research and Development (R&D) in India is part of NESTLÉ S.A.’s global R&D network and supports all markets worldwide with new product development and manufacturing excellence for Noodles. It is also a Centre of expertise for local Indian cuisine within the NESTLÉ R&D network and offers assistance to Culinary, Confectionery, Nutrition and Dairy products in the South Asia Region (SAR).
Better nutrition in the region is a perpetual challenge. Its meaning changes with the stage of development, the degree of social awareness, and scientific advancement. The new NESTLÉ R&D facility in India will help develop great tasting food solutions that are relevant for consumers in the South Asia Region, creating products that take the promise of taste and health to a broader economic and social section than ever before. It will also strengthen NESTLÉ’s position as the leader in Nutrition, Health and Wellness in the emerging markets.
NESTLÉ India has always had Research and Development support from the NESTLÉ R&D network across the world. Now, with the new R&D Centre in Manesar, NESTLÉ South Asia Region will benefit from a greater ‘regional consumer’ focus. Having an R&D Centre in India also brings Research and Development closer to NESTLÉ India businesses, and reflects the NESTLÉ spirit of R&D-Business partnership towards developing winning concepts, suited to the local consumer. It will in turn help NESTLÉ R&D to bring out strong local concepts that are in accordance with the NESTLÉ Group ambition to provide ‘affordable Nutrition, Health and Wellness’.
Ultimately, these concepts will not just be relevant for emerging markets like India, but could be transferred to NESTLÉ worldwide.
Food Safety Institute of India
Food safety and hygiene is critically important for improving public health and consumer welfare in India. A holistic approach including all stakeholders and covering the entire food chain can help reduce the food-borne disease burden. Food safety, thus, is a shared responsibility.
Nestlé shares the commitment on food safety and the quality and safety of our products is a top priority. To strengthen the food safety commitment in India Nestlé is establishing the Nestlé Food Safety Institute, India (NFSI). NFSI India will adopt a holistic and collaborative approach towards ensuring safe food for consumers that will help meet India's growing demand for healthy and safe food. It is the local interface of Nestlé’s global food safety science capabilities, and leverages Nestlé’s expertise in food safety for new scientific research partnerships in the country.
The mission of NFSI India is to “build and share knowledge through collaborative partnerships to help build trust and improve food safety in India”. Our numerous and extensive research endeavors in food safety will provide the foundation upon which this mission is guided.
- Ensure that the broad competences and knowledge within Nestlé are fully leveraged in India and the Region.
- Create scientific knowledge to enable the formulation of effective and implementable risk reduction strategies.
- Engage with concerned stakeholders to share knowledge and information on emerging food safety issues and support a science based policy framework.
- Support knowledge dissemination and conduct training programs NFSI India will be an integral part of the global network (NQAC and R&D) of food safety experts within Nestlé. NFSI India will serve as a local interface of Nestlé’s global food safety capabilities & research, and as such, leverage our expertise in food safety science as an incentive for new research collaboration & partnerships in the country. NFSI will partner with reputable academics, government agencies and research institutes.
Research Agenda & ActivitiesThe research program / key activities will be comprised of two pillars
1) The Capacity building pillar focuses on:
- (i) external contracts and collaborations/partnerships, and
- (ii) training programs (e.g. adulteration toolkit, agricultural hygiene management),
2) The Analytical Services & Data Science pillar provides in-house research on analytical method development and data trending and chemical surveillance by testing of materials for contaminants (heavy metals, pesticides, mycotoxins, adulteration)