Individuals and families
Our 2030 ambition is to help 50 million children lead healthier lives
The United Nations believes the food industry has a vital role to play in helping enable healthier lives. At Nestlé we believe this too. We want to help shape a better and healthier world. This was how we started more than 150 years ago when our founder Henri Nestlé created an infant cereal that saved the life of a child.
India is currently facing the double burden of malnutrition and obesity, with nearly 253 million adolescent population in dire need of appropriate nutrition, counselling, education and guidance (Census, 2011). According to the National Family Health Survey, 2009, the number of obese people has nearly doubled since 2005–06, while the status of under nutrition has remained stagnant since 1998–99 (National Family Health Survey, 2009). According to a UNICEF study, the rate of regular consumption of food rich in vitamin A and iron is low in India, especially among infants and young children.
We strive to continuously develop a better understanding of the changing lifestyles of India and anticipate consumer needs to provide tastier and nutritious product offerings, which are of high quality, safe and affordable for all life stages.
In order to 'Enable happier and healthier lives,' we have categorised our nutrition, health and wellness commitments into:
For individuals and families
Offering tastier and healthier choices
- Launch more foods and beverages that are nutritious, especially for mothers-to-be, new mothers and infants and children
- Further decrease sugars, sodium and saturated fat
- Increase vegetables, fibre-rich grains, pulses, nuts and seeds in our foods and beverages
- Simplify our ingredients list and remove artificial colours
- Address under-nutrition through micronutrient fortification
Inspiring people to lead healthier lives
- Apply and explain nutrition information on packs, at point of sale and online
- Offer guidance on portions for our products
- Market to children only choices that help them achieve a nutritious diet
- Empower parents, caregivers and teachers to foster healthy behaviours in children
- Leverage our marketing efforts to promote healthy cooking, eating and lifestyles
- Support breastfeeding and protect it by continuing to implement an industry-leading policy to market breast-milk substitutes responsibly
- Partner for promoting healthy food environments
Building, sharing and applying nutrition knowledge
* Indicates commitments aimed at infants and children
Find out more about our Global Commitments at