Our commitment: Work to achieve water efficiency and sustainability across our operations
Reducing withdrawal per tonne of product and reusing more water in our operations
Nestlé is committed to improving its water footprint. Through our constant effortsIn the last 15 years we have reduced water usage by around 51%, waste water by around 57% per tonne of production. We use advanced technology to improve our capacity to produce more from fewer resources, as well as reduce waste generation. In 2016, we strengthened our Nestlé Environmental Requirements (NER), to include new water effluent parameters.
We ensure that our manufacturing operations do not negatively impact the availability of water resources among the local communities. We conduct Water Resource Reviews (WRR) in plant operations periodically to determine our operational utilisation of water, understand risks and opportunities, and develop action plans for sustainable water use. The WRR process fully incorporates Nestlé Guidelines on Respecting the Human Right to Water and Sanitation. In India, WRRs have been conducted for our manufacturing units in Moga, Nanjangud and Samalkha.
During 2017, approximately thirty-two water reduction projects were completed in the factories. This, inter alia, resulted in reduction in water consumption and reuse of recycled water in a more efficient manner. Some of the key initiatives contributing to water savings in 2017 are:
- Water savings by installation of MVR (Mechanical Vapour Recompression) & evaporator condensate recovery RO at factory.
- Installation of Condensate recovery unit in one of the factories.
- Reuse of reject water as make up in vacuum pumps in the factories.
- Reuse of ETP RO permeate in process cooling towers in one of the factories.
- Reuse of evaporator condensate in the factories.
- Steamer steam optimization in one of the factories.
Find out more about our Global Commitments at