We all know that milk is great for growing kids as it contains plenty of protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals. Milk is not just for kids, however. As a rich source of calcium and protein, milk is also great for adults because these nutrients help to build and maintain strong bones in the body.
Good to know
Our bones store calcium. When we do not get enough calcium from our daily meals, our body uses the calcium that is stored in our bones. Unfortunately, our bones start to lose calcium at a much greater rate when we are in our thirties. This causes our bones to weaken and increase our risk of getting osteoporosis (brittle bone disease). By drinking milk regularly, we supply our body with the calcium it needs, therefore reducing the amount of calcium removed from our bones.
Delicious Tips to Enjoy Your Milk
- Enjoy it every day. Drinking milk every day helps reduce your chances of suffering from osteoporosis later in your life.
- Don't just drink milk. You can also enjoy a variety of milk products such as cheese and yogurt.
- Milk is great with many things. Milk is a versatile food which can be used in a number of ways, like in beverages like buttermilk, thandai, making smoothies or milk shakes with yoghurt and fruits, in desserts such as kheers, custards, ice creams etc sauces (milk or cheese sauces) for pastas, in soups by adding cream or milk. For added flavour and nutritional goodness, you can add milk to your oatmeals, cereals, coffee.
- Choose milk and milk products that are low in fat and sugar. These products are better for your health, especially if you are watching your weight.For eg. NESTLÉ SLIM Dahi, NESTLÉ SLIM Milk. It is a good habit to choose plain milk instead of flavoured milk.
- Everyone can enjoy milk. If you are lactose intolerant, you can still enjoy the goodness of milk by choosing lactose-free pre-digested milk products such as yogurts.
Milk is a nourishing, all-weather beverage which is good either chilled or warmed. So ensure that you have your daily quota of milky goodness in some form or the other. Your bones will surely thank you and your children would also accompany you readily!